Allergy 101, Part I: A Naturopathic Approach
This article is the introduction to our 4 part series about allergies. In this series, we will share the basics about allergies- what allergies are, what the underlying factors of allergies are, and most importantly, what can we do to heal our allergies.
Allergy 101: A Naturopathic Approach
- Part 1 of our Allergy 101 Series
An allergy is an adverse immune system reaction—sometimes mild, sometimes severe—to a substance that other people find harmless.
Quite often, an allergen (a substance provoking allergy symptoms) is a protein that the body judges to be foreign and dangerous and thus attacks it. The adverse reaction that follows is called an allergic response or sensitivity.
In susceptible individuals, this hypersensitivity response occurs after exposure to allergens from 3 primary categories:
• Food- Wheat, Dairy, Corn, Soy, Egg, Food Additives and Preservatives
• Environmental- Dust, Dust mites, Pollen, Ragweed, Grasses, Trees, Molds
• Chemical- Inhalants, Fumes, Exhaust, Solvents, Herbicides, Pesticides, Plastics
Allergies are important to eliminate because they can affect so many aspects of our overall health!
Seasonal allergy sufferers know the misery of these symptoms:
• Sniffling, sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion, sinus pressure, itchy, red, or watery eyes, scratchy throat, post nasal drip, ear aches, coughing, etc.
But did you know that allergies can also contribute to the following conditions and day-to-day health concerns?
• Weight Gain
• Digestive Disturbance
• Sleep disturbance
• Mental focus and concentration problems
• Emotional concerns like anxiety and depression
Naturopathic Care for Allergies
Comprehensive Naturopathic Care is integral to eliminating allergies by healing the whole body:
• Allergy is a complex condition that involves many systems of the body.
• For this reason, addressing allergies requires a comprehensive understanding of the interaction of the immune system, digestive system, diet, lifestyle, and even hormones and genetics.
• Learning how to eat a healthy diet and use the correct supplementation to support body systems is essential to maximizing the benefits of allergy elimination.
• It is therefore very important that a personalized and comprehensive approach is taken!
The NEAT Approach to Allergy Elimination
Introducing the "Natural Elimination of Allergy Technique" (NEAT)
Fortunately, there is a therapy that is safe, non-invasive, affordable and highly effective to help you get past those nagging allergies for good. Best of all, there are no shots!
Dr. Eric Lewis integrates naturopathic health care and a unique system of allergy identification and desensitization for allergies and asthma called the Natural Elimination of Allergy Technique (NEAT).