- Have you been told by your doctor that your blood pressure or cholesterol are too high?
- Are you nervous about the side effects of the medications you are taking for your blood pressure, high cholesterol, or insulin resistance?
- Have you been told “lose weight and exercise” but just aren’t sure what’s the best way to do that?
- Do you have a family history of heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, or other cardiovascular conditions but have a desire to not follow down the family path?
These are just some of the reasons patients give us for why they want to learn the naturopathic approach to their heart health.
Prevention is Key
When it comes to heart health, prevention is one of the best tools we have to offer. Naturopathic medicine excels in reducing risk factors for heart disease and teaching effective ways to minimize your chances of developing cardiovascular problems.
Numerous research studies have demonstrated the role that diet, exercise, and a healthy lifestyle can have on preventing and treating the heart and cardiovascular system. But many patients are simply told “eat better and exercise” by their doctors, with little additional support or strategies about what exactly that means!
Our naturopathic doctors love to educate patients on specific ways they can change their diet, exercise, and lifestyle patterns to create a healthy heart. We will personalize our recommendations based on your specific needs and unique challenges, as one-size-fits-all is rarely the best approach when it comes to our health.
Effective Natural Solutions
In addition to diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes, there are many specific nutritional supplements or herbal medicines that can be beneficial for heart health. These supplements can help reduce the side-effects of your current medication, and can help you reach your heart health goals.
As a rule, the therapies we use at our office are safe, gentle, and non-toxic. We are trained in knowing how to recognize and avoid drug-herb interactions.
Working with your cardiologist or primary care physician
We can work with your cardiologist and other healthcare practitioners to provide a comperehensive plan for your heart health. Even if you are currently on medication, we can help. Especially in situations of documented, serious heart disease, we require co-management with a cardiologist or other health care provider.
Common heart health conditions helped by naturopathic medicine:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol
- High triglycerides
- Metabolic Syndrome / Insulin Resistance / Pre-Diabetes
- Heart arrhythmias, palpitations
- Peripheral arterial disease, venous insufficiency