Naturopathic Approach to Iron Disorders and Hemochromatosis
Help for hemochromatosis and iron overload from a naturopathic doctor who understands
Individualized Care for Hemochromatosis and Iron Disorders with Naturopathic Medicine
Our practice here at Lewis Family Natural Health has a solid connection to the world of hereditary hemochromatosis and other forms of iron overload.
In fact, we have a sister site, Hemochromatosis Help, devoted entirely to this condition.
Both doctors have written books on the subject, and Dr. Eric consults with people from around the globe about all types of iron disorders, including hereditary hemochromatosis and other cases of high iron.
Iron metabolism and the way it interacts with the rest of the body is complex, and no two people experience issues with iron in quite the same way.
When working with Dr. Eric, he will listen to you and work to understand your unique story. He will then work to develop and custom create an individualized plan to help you feel your best.
If you are seeking guidance from a natural doctor specializing in hemochromatosis, you’ve come to the right place!
Why Work With a Naturopathic Doctor for Hereditary Hemochromatosis
There is a lack of clear information out there to help empower people with iron overload to take charge and to learn how to live a healthier life with hemochromatosis.
Some patients have expressed frustration that, while your current healthcare team may know a lot about blood tests and phlebotomy, they don’t seem to have the level of knowledge, specialty, and understanding about nutrition and other whole-person strategies that you are seeking.
Dr. Eric’s role is as a complementary addition to the healthcare you’re already receiving – that “missing piece” you’ve been seeking to help you find answers and restore health.
He is not a replacement for the care you’re currently receiving. He cannot make adjustments to your prescription medications or prescription phlebotomy or bill your insurance. He is not a replacement for your physician, registered dietician, or licensed nutritionist.
What he can do is take the whole picture of your health into account and help you integrate the different parts of your health together with a supplement and dietary plan that puts all the pieces together.
Individualized Care from a Doctor Specializing in Hemochromatosis
The classic diagnosis of hemochromatosis is someone with 2 copies of the C282Y or H63D gene, as well as elevated iron markers such as serum iron, ferritin, and elevated iron saturation.
We have worked successfully with many patients in our naturopathic practice who fit this description.
However, just like many other medical conditions, not everyone fits into the textbook definition of someone with hemochromatosis.
They might have lab values that are “off” but not have the genetic markers, or not have a clear diagnosis of anything specific. These patients are often not helped by the conventional medical system because they don’t fit into a neat category and are told there is “nothing wrong” with them.
Likewise, many people with only one copy of the hemochromatosis gene or with unusual lab results may still experience high iron symptoms.
For example, in our practice, we’ve also worked with patients that have hemochromatosis genes who also:
- Have normal or even low ferritin
- Have low iron saturation % (aka transferrin saturation %)
- Have low ferritin and high iron saturation % (or vice versa)
- Have anemia at the same time as having high ferritin
Individuals with unique, or even seemingly contradictory, blood work still may benefit by taking steps to balance their iron levels and improve their overall health.
At the same time, many other people who do have classic hereditary hemochromatosis find that, despite following their recommended phlebotomy regimen, they aren’t feeling better. We’ve heard from many patients who:
- Struggle to lower their ferritin levels even with consistent phlebotomy
- Are not able to receive or tolerate phlebotomy
- Are missing something in their overall health care plan
By specializing in hemochromatosis and iron disorders, Dr. Eric has the experience to help you regardless if you have a textbook case, or a unique case, or iron overload.
Iron Starts the Conversation
When working with patients with iron disorders, the subject of iron will start the conversation, but the focus will expand to also look at other aspects of your underlying health.
When taking a comprehensive look at the big picture of what is going on, iron often ends up being only be part of the story.
Help for Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload from a Naturopathic Doctor Who Understands
As a naturopathic doctor with his own genetic predisposition for iron overload, Dr. Eric’s aim is to help you learn the safest and most effective diet and supplement strategies to help support your health.
Through years of research, working with patients, and managing his own iron levels, he has developed a specialty and deep understanding of iron overload.
Dr. Eric has worked with hundreds of patients and communicated with thousands of people around the globe with iron issues, including genetic hereditary hemochromatosis, as well as many other types of iron overload.
There are many ways Dr. Eric can help you. These include:
Learning About Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload:
- Dr. Eric’s guidance in helping you understand your diagnosis, how iron impacts health, and how iron relates to your day-to-day activities is something many patients find invaluable.
- You may have found that others members of your healthcare team might not have the time to discuss all the ways iron overload may impact your life. Enjoy an unhurried conversation with your naturopathic doctor who will help you feel heard and empowered.
Determine How Nutrition Impacts Iron Overload:
- Do you know what to eat when you have hemochromatosis? Were you just handed a piece of paper by your hematologist with a list of food to avoid and given no additional support?
- Knowing what to cook and eat is sometimes the most difficult part of learning to live well with hemochromatosis. You may ask any and every question you may have about diet and eating during your appointments with Dr. Eric. No question is too big or too small!
Personalized Recommendations from a Naturopathic Doctor
- Would you like someone to put together a plan for you? Get customized recommendations for your unique set of symptoms and health challenges is what the doctors at Lewis Family Natural Health do every day.
- He can help you integrate nutritional supplements, making sure they don’t interfere with any of your medications. Understanding the interplay of complex nutrients is an expertise of naturopathic doctors.
Exploring Your Unique Genetic Code
- Beyond the typical and simple genetic panel run by hematologists to diagnose hereditary hemochromatosis, there are many more pieces of information genetics can tell us about our health with more elaborate gene testing.
- Nutrigenomics is the study of understanding how your personal genetic code impacts your dietary, vitamin, and nutritional needs.
- Dr. Eric has studied nutrigenomics extensively and finds a deeper understanding of our unique genetic code to be especially helpful for those with iron disorders.