Frequently Asked Questions
What are your office hours?
- Our normal hours for seeing patients are Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 9:30-4:00 and Wednesday by appointment only. Please contact us to schedule an appointment that works for you and your schedule. We can sometimes accommodate earlier or later appointments on a case-by-case basis.
Where is your office located?
- Lewis Family Natural Health is located in the heart of Asheville. We are just south of Mission Hospital, just north of Biltmore Village, and a few minutes from the entrance to the Biltmore Estate. We are also very close to an exit off of I-40.
- Despite being centrally located, we are on a small side street providing privacy and quiet that you wouldn’t expect from such a busy part of town. Our office was originally a private residence built in the 1930s, giving it the charm of an old building with the amenities of a modern building.
- Please read our detailed driving directions for more details on how to find us.
Is it easy to park at your office?
- Yes. We have plenty of free reserved parking spots for our patients located behind our building, and one handicap parking spot in front.
Is your office handicap accessible?
- Yes! From our handicap entrance ramp, to our wide hallways and wheelchair friendly bathroom, we are able to accommodate anyone who wishes to come see us. Our entire office is located on the ground floor. There is also a designated handicap parking space in front of our building.
Questions about Becoming a Patient
How do I become a patient at your office?
- To become a patient, please review the three steps listed on the “Become a Patient” section of our website. Then contact us to get your questions answered and your first appointments scheduled.
I’d like to learn more before I make an appointment. What is the best way to do this?
- We recommend that all potential patients take advantage of our complimentary 15-minute initial consultations. These free 15-minute consultations take place over the telephone. Learn more.
Do you take insurance?
- Naturopathic medicine is not routinely covered by insurance in North Carolina at this time. Some Health Savings Accounts/Flex Spending Plans can be used to pay for our services. We recommend you contact your plan directly to see what they will or will not cover.
- Despite the lack of insurance coverage, many patients report that they save money over time through reduced medication, less time off from work, and prevention of future more costly health care problems. One popular service we offer is streamlining your supplements so that you don’t waste money on supplements that may not be helping you.
- If you compare our prices to other holistic practitioners in the area, you should find them to be fair and reasonable. We pledge to never recommend an unnecessary service, product, or lab test.
I live in another city or state. Do you offer telephone or telehealth consultations?
- Many of our patients do not live in Asheville, and we work with patients from around the world using phone or video appointments. Traveling to North Carolina is not a requirement to work with us!
What is it like to work with a naturopathic doctor?
- As naturopathic doctors, we strive to uncover the underlying cause of your illness, to understand you as an individual, and to develop personalized recommendations specifically designed for you. Please read more about the New Patient Series and what to expect during your first visits.
Why should I see a naturopathic doctor as compared to another health care provider?
- Naturopathic medicine is a specific, unique profession. Many people not familiar with the terminology may assume that any practitioner of alternative natural medicine is a “naturopath.”
- We place a strong emphasis on our patients attaining full wellness and the prevention of health problems in the future. As well as addressing specific health complaints, we encourage all the positive things a patient can do to be well with optimal health, happiness, physical fitness, and mental balance.
- We are NOT a substitute for your medical doctor, therefore it is very important that you retain a relationship with a primary care physician. We work with your doctor to bring you the best of alternative and western medicine.
Does naturopathic medicine work?
- Yes! We don’t just recommend natural therapies because they are natural; we use them because they work. But don’t take our word for it. Read what our patients are saying.
Why do I need a naturopath when there is so much information available on the Internet about alternative medicine?
- This is a great question. There is a lot of information available, more information than any one person could ever sort through. The trouble with the Internet is the credibility of information; anyone can say anything about anything, whether or not they know what they are talking about. Like the Snake Oil salesmen of the past, they might just be trying to sell a worthless product.
- Figuring out your own natural health care is a little bit like doing your own taxes. If you have a simple, straight-forward situation, then you might be able to figure things out on your own. But if you see an accountant for help, they might figure out write-offs and exemptions, and the initial money you spent upfront will be more than compensated by the increased tax refund you wouldn’t have generated if you did it all yourself. If you have a complex tax situation, hiring an accountant is much better than trying to teach yourself what they went to school for years and years to learn how to do.
- Same with alternative medicine. By seeing a naturopath, you are making an investment in your health, hiring a specialist to help you wade through the mass amounts of information available, and create a streamlined, custom-tailored plan for you.
- You are hiring someone who was specially trained to provide you this service. This isn’t just our hobby; we didn’t just read a couple of books on herbs and take a few weekend seminars. We went to medical school for four years, passed intensive national board examinations, and logged in over 4,500 classroom hours and 1,000+ supervised patient visits. We keep up with medical research advances on a daily basis, both in the conventional and alternative medical worlds.
- The hours and money you can save by seeing a naturopathic doctor are hard to quantify. We have had patients come to us saying that they have already literally spent thousands of dollars on supplements that didn’t work that they purchased off the Internet or from a friend’s recommendation. Others call us saying they are at their wit’s end; they are so overwhelmed with everything out there that they are paralyzed and don’t know where to start.
- If you feel this way, please know you are not alone, and know that we’re here to help.
Can I still see my medical doctor if I work with you?
- Absolutely! We work as a team with you and your current physician(s) to reach your health goals, whether it be relief from a specific disease, supportive therapies that will not conflict with your current medications, or achieving optimal wellness.
- We serve as a bridge between the conventional and alternative medical systems, understanding drug-herb interactions, and knowing how and when to refer to other practitioners in both systems to provide you with the best health care available.
Are you Licensed Dieticians or Nutritionists?
- No, we are not licensed dieticians or nutritionists in the state of North Carolina.
- While we are knowledgeable about general healthy eating, nutritional science, and ways to use food to promote overall wellness, we do not provide specific dietary plans or tell you what to eat. We do not provide specific medical nutrition therapy.
I currently take prescription medications. Can I still work with you?
- Many of our patients come to us already taking prescription medications, while many are on no medications at all. We are able to meet you where you are and create a safe natural program for you that takes into account any medications you may be currently taking.
- We are not opposed to prescriptions or conventional medicines and find that sometimes a prescription is just what a person needs to feel their best. We do not write prescriptions, however, so you will still need a conventional healthcare practitioner to assist you with that part of your care.
- We are specially trained in recognizing drug-herb-supplement interactions and making sure the natural therapies we recommend will not conflict with your prescriptions. Likewise, we can help you correct nutritional imbalances that are common side-effects of many medications.
What natural therapies do you use?
- We utilize a wide range of tools in order to promote the body’s healing response. Each patient is an individual, so the specific therapies recommended vary for each patient depending on their unique needs.
- Read more about the natural health therapies used at Lewis Family Natural Health.
Do you work with cancer patients?
- We do not work with cancer, but we have many colleagues who do. Please refer to our referral list for cancer-specific resources.